Poetry

Thursday, 8 October 2026

Arise, arise subsistence farmer

 They've taken away our way of life

Oh I'm now a subsistence farmer

I'm working for the man and woman in strife

Drawn along the strawberry line

And the fosseway is the battle ground

Against the beast from the east

It's the Brighton crowd on their fairground

Spreading their money and culture of grease

It's a thinning line, it's the battle front line

Is Shepton Mallet

It's the invading Romans versus the working celts

We're being pushed out and robbed of our wealth

They're trying to get their hands on life itself

Don't let them, don't let them

There's no point in being up in these hills

There's no land here that pigs haven't killed

That strange robberies and withheld wills

haven't rooted out corollaries and instant thrills

I'm being blown back down to the land of sweet rills,

Where I taken my nourishment from rhein ditch bills

What's on the menu is swan's neck soup

I'll wearing a garland of rose worm silk

And swimming in mud of the peat bogs rich

And eating bog butter from the rill ranch ditch


But it's alright, it's alright, I was born that way

I'm a subsistence farmer, it's in my dna

They want to give me pharmacology

Because my family sold my farm

I've no inheritance to speak of

Because the cuckoos came and no one raised the alarm

And the early warning system didn't suspect the strange egg

That burst out and pushed the others out of the nest


It's like that all over Somerset

The poor get eaten by the rich

What they want is our culture

But what they take is our grit

They make a joke of farmers

Like it is somebody's latent word

But we're all just ghostly echoes of the age of the sword

And King Alfred he retreated back inside the marsh

In order to fight the North men

From a stronger footings' start

So rise up, rise up my reformers

My peasants shall revolt

And rebel against these disasters that befall us

But none it has been our own fault

Let us raise an army of some tough handed farmers

Let's take our pitchforks and sickles

And scythe down the witch-hearted fickles

Let's defend our common lot

And protect our livelihoods

Because they'll spread their cultural rot

and they're not for the common good 

No comments:

Post a Comment