Poetry

Saturday 13 January 2024

Love gone astray

 I gave my girl to my best friend

Anyone could see how it would end

It would have been better if I had been killed

In an accident, a car bomb

Or some foreign field

To die romantically after

Having written some poems

But we had no war like Wilfred Owen

We had a plastic world to get lost in

And money from the 80s

That seemed like a ghosting

And a tech revolution

Where virtual reality

Took over the bedroom and living room

And all of your problems

Could disappear

If you hid in a game

If you smothered your tears

But I smothered my love to my shame

I killed it it's clear

Through a failure to launch

A failure of career

A failure to fight

A failure to try

And that is why

I'm the fall guy

And I play it straight

I play it grey

Because nothing is bright

And everyone's gay

And this world might

just stand in my way

But I'm shattered and broken

By love  gone astray

God knows I'm lonely now

No comments:

Post a Comment