Poetry

Tuesday 16 January 2024

Rich man

 30 years

Of trying to go my own way

30 years, 30 years

 And you put a big fence in my way


And it is thirty years away

But it still could have been yesterday


Railroad man Jonny

Steamroller away

Steam roller , heavy roller

The Ash trees sway

The wind blows through the tunnel

And the hours fall away

30 years tomorrow could've been yesterday


Who is the rich man

Falling on the pile

Another Mink lined coat

Another mill-a-mile

Burning up the cotton

treading down the yarn

Only railroad Jonny could do him any harm


Rich man, rich man

Won't you give away some wealth

You know I am a poor man

And it's not good for my health


I'd like to be a rich man

With my hands on the controls

But on the path to the top you must

climb many a greasy pole


Can you blame a rich man

For all the money he stole

If he stands upon the poor man

To see his dollars roll


And will this railroad reach him

Or will his pit black soul

Be as dark as a railway tunnel

Where the trains no longer roll

No comments:

Post a Comment