Poetry

Thursday 18 January 2024

Water clock

 I wish I could act like it never happened

I wish I could forget but I can't

Like you do

The sun across the fields

I remember like a glance

A look in the face

From the eye in the sky

Shining down in radiance

But I don't wish to conflate or paint

A false image

The mascara foundation

That covers the nation

In false eyelashes and expectations

There is enough that's already made up

I just can't deny the break up

Didn't shake me to my foundations

Yet what I build my house upon

Are ideals and values that are shared

They mean I can bear the petty

Inconstancies of another's frail heart

Or capricious moods

Regular like the tides of the moon

And yet

Without such forces

Would life still run its courses?

It shan't

It is a water clock dripping

And a river rolling

And the time you dip in your toe

Is never the same part

No comments:

Post a Comment