Poetry

Sunday 26 December 2021

Mermaid

 I saw a mermaid in the sea

But she could not come up to me

I said the sea went way over my head

And she was in it and the sea was red


Come walk on water Jesus boy she said

I knew you were living, but I didn't know you were dead

She said I'm half fish don't you know

Not fully grown, not

Ready to bear human child


Come fisherman

She said,

Fisherman

Search for the souls

Fisherman,

I am half fish


But I'm not whole.

Fisherman greet me catch me 

And toll,

Toll the rocking ship's bell for me


By the time the clock's struck twelve

I will be free,

I will have grown

And be full woman not a girl

I'll leave behind my scales 


Keep my pearl

But it all was just as it had been


The fisherman unfurled the net

And set the mermaid free




No comments:

Post a Comment