Poetry

Wednesday 1 December 2021

Brush the cobwebs away

 All the spices

Of taste

And colours in the spotless mind

That sweep away the day

And in the corners

Cobwebs find

And pine needles

Of the Christmas Spruce

She used to sew

Her fine cloth through

All abandoned now lays

On the slate of the window sil

I used to climb through

On summer days

Now I dare not touch the handle

Even in my dreams

For the spiders there

Are multiplying

And the cloth unravels

At the seams

Oh to keep

This love alive

But in the end the body dies

And all that once

Was love and roses

Now wilts down

To tears and blown noses


Keep me with you when you go

But in the end

I let you go

For this world

Can't keep us both

And life has its way to show us


Take out again the Christmas wreath

And hang it on the door beneath

The mantle and the step

That guards the house

of no regret


Let the bunting splay

And the holly shine on the holiday

All these images of my youth

And whole childhood is proof

Of love once had

Must be removed

But recreated again under new roof

No comments:

Post a Comment