Poetry

Sunday 19 January 2020

Prometheus bound

Why did you go and do that to me
Can't you see how I'm pinned here
Alone to this tree?
Pegasus wings and Achilles' heel
Agamemnon brain, Prometheus knows how I feel
I discovered fire but now thess rocks are my rails
And I'm sinking fast the raven's pecking my entrails

Who should know my cast, who should?
Who has made my mould but some God
And then when I try creation
Well destruction is my reward
Who knows how I feel? But Perseus's sword
Made to cut the head off Medusas of the seas
And fire spitting serpents and slay dragons in the leas
Who but the Argonauts, or Ulysses
Strapped to the mast to resist the Sirens' Soliloques
So tempting an Island, an island I can't resist
An island of misfortune where my own ruin must persist
Hold me back from destruction
Hold me away from desire
And Like Prometheus before me
Tell me never to play with fire

No comments:

Post a Comment