Poetry

Monday 20 March 2023

Swan

 Swan you little plesiosaurus

Look you up in a thesaurus

You're a synonym for white


And some how you learnt to fly 

but prefer the water to the sky


I can't control it said the swan

The sky and the earth on this day

I am the king of the pond

I am the mirror bird I say


I hold your reflection in my mind

And I give back you my white in kind


Give back the white

Oh will you read between the lines

Of the black and white

And see through to the otherside of the mirror


Said to the lily, why be a pad

Like a biscuit

I sip from your waterlip

And swill down the plankton

Into my gullet

And you have to give me your yellow

And I'll cut loose Mr goose

And give you back my white


Give me your green Mr froggy

And he said ribbet and swam along

I'll give you my green if you sing your swan song

So the swan sang a beautiful blood red tune

And Froggy gave him his green

And he gave back his white


Give me your brown Mr Otter

And the Otter dipped into the jelly black lake

Said I'll give you my brown if you prove you're no fake

So the Swan rose up like a dragon and beat his wings

And Otter gave him his brown

And he gave back his white


Give me your black Mr Raven

And Raven said no way and flew away

But wait! cried swan, you swore you were my mate

And raven's beady eyes spied him, said Ok

Friend, you can take a piece of my black

And Swan gave him his white

And Raven danced his Magpie jig


Why then, said Swan, with all these colours am I still white?

And the lake spoke up and said you made a grave mistake

While you gave away your white there was no promise made the other way

So the only colour your young may be is grey

To remind you of the trust you had in other animals

Then the white to remind you that all animals lie



No comments:

Post a Comment