Poetry

Saturday 11 March 2023

Spilt Milk 1

 There's more to life than dreaming

Dreams they don't come true

Unless you hold onto the seeming

Impossibility of me and you


There's more to the neck of the bottle

Than all the wine that could flow

And if you run at it full throttle

Well the boiler surely will blow

There's more to life than dreams

Dreams they rarely come true


You think this knife is subtle

Well it cuts me away from you

Oh the wolves in the forest 

And oh the sheep on the hill

You cannot get back what you promised 

And this love has a license to kill

Finally she left without warning

Finally I got the final bill

I read the news in the morning

By the afternoon I had had my fill


There's more to life than dreaming

For dreams they rarely come true

There's no use in crying over spilt milk

that tipped over

There's no use in crying over you


I think in another life we were both cats

Maybe I've had eight or nine

But you had the cream of the takings

And now I'm going to get mine


There's more to life than dreaming

For dreams they rarely come true

You 've given me more than I'd bargained for

And now there's no use crying over you


Don't you see that it's useless 

to try to be more than you can be

I think that you should be confused less

As there's no use in crying over me


No comments:

Post a Comment