Poetry

Thursday 16 March 2023

The road to Shepton Mallet

 My tax bill came in I said

Wow how come?

The drum on the beat continued to hum

I put down the letter and

Twiddled my thumbs

Wow, I said wow


To the police I give a tenth of my vow

Jeeze Louise, I need to take a bow

For the Fire and rescue, I give a twelfth

Wow, I said wow


Adult social care almost as much as the police

Wow, Moses, Holy crocuses

If their parents never had them

We'd be sweet as roses

Burn that money somehow


Who are these cronies 

In the local government?

Make a change!

Make a change!

Every plan fulfilled

has been painted on the pavement

Make a change right now


Most of it goes on fire and rescue

Drunk people with candles setting light their curtains

Two fifths goes on the local town council

Make a change right now!


Two thirds goes on Somerset County Council

Keep talking, keep talking!

If everything is pink then

We better start walking

Walking to Shepton Mallet now!


Better get in Shape!

Better stop your shirking

Keep working, keep working!

Everyone's a jerk

If you can't quit baulking

Keep talking now


With all this money

Why are the roads still unsafe?

They keep shirking, keep shirking

With all this money

Why don't they fuck themselves?

Keep working now


Work this way until you're in your grave

Keep digging, keep digging

Then some teenager comes along

And desecrates with foam of shave

Keep talking now


Who knows when 

This song is gonna end?

Not me, not me

Let's end it here as it's all going wrong

Council taxes will always increase!

No comments:

Post a Comment