Poetry

Wednesday 20 May 2020

What's the damage?

And the writing on the wall reads
Whats the damage?

I ask you to call
But the song birds took your throat
They were off with the pussy cat
In a bobbing boat
And I saw it in a letter that
Somebody wrote
All it read at the end was
What's the damage?

The church yards are crazy
Like graffitti of doom
The houses are all empty
Nobody's renting a room
And a clause on the lease reads
Come back here soon
Then: What's the damage?

Oh are hearts are so empty
Like mansions of the elite
They lay out their banquets
For others to eat
But when friends shake hands
They always pass on something sweet
So then what's the damage?

I bring you out the wreckage
Time and time again and find
The pieces of the stoppage
After extra time
And you know the king is in his castle
And the peasants drink his wine
The fires in the hearth
And I see you in your prime
So I say: What's the damage?

No comments:

Post a Comment