Poetry

Saturday 9 May 2020

Hercules in Harrods

I've seen you in the bushes
In the burly Roman guard
I've seen you keeping vigil
Outside the tower of the shard
That reaches up to heaven
But it reaches oh so hard
Oh all you ever needed
Was to shuffle your cards

I've seen you in the wasteland of a certain despair
And in  the Angel land of haste and lightfooted care
I've see you in the faces of the disgraced
And overwrought
But all these marbled insults of incidents
Add up to nought

Go keep the goalies head warm with your wooly thought
Go save him from defeat in the land of golden sport
Where all is fair in love as it is in war
Oh go hang all your consequences upon a new year's wall

There are scenes we must walk on through
There are days alone that we all are due
And to say each day is numbered, well the thought is true
But come hold to me your promises of a lifetime's hue

Don't yield in the beginning when the men are bold
And the shipwrecks to the mermaids have all been sold
And the sailors sew their yarns into another fold
Just bring me in your harbour, warm my cold

I'll bake with you for hours in the sun's strong rays
And hold counsels in the towers for days and days
And one by one your powers will be saved
For all the delicate flowers bowed their heads and waved

No comments:

Post a Comment