Poetry

Saturday 27 May 2023

Marathon Man

 Hello, is that the marathons?

Yes,

Oh great, I'd like to join you

Well we'd be very pleased to have you. But you've phoned up our help line, so how can we help?

Oh a while ago now I tried to start running

That's great, but are you having suicidal thoughts?

Well sometimes when I'm running

I want to run in front of a truck

Well, you are doing the right thing by phoning us up 

and trying to get some exercise

Yes well, for a long time I didn't know you

had a telephone number?

Oh how did you hear about us?

Well I was feeling depressed one day

And someone said I should talk to the 'Marathons'

Uhhuh!

Yes, I figured I better get fit and join the local running team

So you did?

Yes I used to do the Park run every Saturday and then I built

myself up until I could manage a half marathon

Wow, well done you!

Thanks...so when I was there I would really try to talk to the Marathons

about how I was feeling.. you know telling them I was depressed

And what happened?

Well they kept running even faster to try to get away from me!

Amazing

Yes, and so then I would run even faster to try to keep up...I actually broke my own personal best

as did many other runners on that day

I was feeling so good about myself, but still I had this niggling thought

This wasn't quite the full marathon

So Anyway then I joined the London marathon, then New York, Sydney, Nepal

Each time I trying to speak with the marathons, and they really helped me

You know I'velost  pounds of weight, I am fitter than I've ever been

I keep to a strict exercise regime

Well what a fantastic story

So what I wanted to do was thank you personally Mr Marathon for helping me so much

Well, that is really very kind of you as you see we are the Samaritans

Not the marathons?

No the Samaritans, but I'm sure some us are Samaritan runners 

No comments:

Post a Comment