Poetry

Saturday 30 October 2021

Cities of gold

 Well I went to the city

The city of orphans

And I looked up to the heavens

And saw Angels of light

And they danced on the tower blocks

Like so many dolphins

Chasing

Fluorescent algae in the oceans of night


And I went to the city where love was a Dauphine

And he ruled like a despot The streets of might

And the colours of flags

Drained into the gutters

And the streamers of politics

Laid down by my side


And I saw without eyes

All the blind men were leading

And I drank from the well

With the horses of flight

And they ran down the rivers

The rivers of ancients

Inside the mouth of the mind

Of delight


And seasons of stones

They shrouded their faces

On the pavements alone

Where the crooked do fight

And the call of the country

It echoed down the empty street

And I called back the anarchy

To patrol the midnight


The town was so golden

So rich and so stolen

And it gleamed in the dazzling

Blood of the moon

And all the men lusted

After what they'd beholden

And all the women wept

And then they did swoon

And the city of gold

Stood above the horizon

Like in cloud castles

That roll down in the night

And though the people were hungry

And their bellies were swollen

They kept craving the gold

That was out of reach but not sight

No comments:

Post a Comment