Poetry

Saturday, 25 July 2026

Play on

 If music be the food of love play on, 

play on

If music be the food of love play on, 

play on

If music be the food of love 

I will hear you like a dove

play on, play on, play on


I met her in a chance hotel

She was there feeling well

I knew I couldn't

See my love so strong

I saw her where the willows weep

And the copper leaves of the beech

They landed on my head on the steep

The pillow of the sky was there

It was blue and I was square

And I knew I had to play on

Play on


I ate the food of love and it

Was sweet and was better it

had no ever bitter taste begun

If music be the food of love play on, 

play on

If music be the food of love play on, 


I noticed I was going well

I thought I was like William Tell

But all I ever was, was too strong

For the kite is in his sky

And he's looking down

With that eagle eye

If music be the food of love play on, 


And it doesn't matter how you go,

You could be a cricket

or a grasshopper jumping in the grass so long

so long

It would be the breeze to tell

That's written on the church bell's knell

If music be the food of love play on, 


I hear them softly sweeping

up the clouds where he is creeping

And the chimney it was keeping strong

The bellows with the arches played

The fire through the old arcade

If music be the food of love play on, 

play on

If music be the food of love play on, 


Listen to the hearth rug play

It was playing some charade

Of love and lovers in the song

in the song

But it was too much for me to take

I had no love except mistakes

If music be the food of love play on, 

play on

If music be the food of love play on, 

play on

If music be the food of love play on, 


No comments:

Post a Comment