Poetry

Thursday 25 July 2024

Talking Willow blues

 Well the wild willow

Did whip me

Slapped me in the face 

Gave me a bruise

Well I should have known

What I was stalking

Now I'm talking about 

The wild willow blues


I went out hunting the tree monster

 A talking tree gave me the news

That there was this willow walking

Eating up people with its root shoes


So I put my ax upon my shoulder

I paid my tax to my muse

And took off a chip the size of a boulder

As I stepped out to hunt the Willow blues


This willow monster was a weeping

Crying out "I've been abused!"

By all the peat men who lie a sleeping

Down in the land where love is used


This willow woman went a whipping

all the men who she had confused

And lulled into her path by lovely lipping

Yet now she sings her Willow blues


Talking willow, do not trick me

I've listened to your sad song you've no excuse

To be eating your willow lovers in the lea

When they follow your song of Willow Blues


This Singing Willow then sang like a Siren

She sang of sallow hearts and sweet profuse

Of flowers growing in an Eden's Garden

Where two lovers Adam and Eve got the blues


She sang now I was there with the Apple tree

And I talked to her, she could not refuse

To join the poison snake of the Chapelry

And add its spice to the Willow tree blues


She was dancing in a river when I caught her

With the nymphs and pan pipes that they use

And she put up quite a fight when I fought her

But in the end I sung the ax swingers blues


I chopped up her branches and made logs

I burnt them on a pyre of refuse

But her trunk sang a song of howling dogs

As her salty bark sang her last Willow Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment