Poetry

Sunday 3 December 2023

Long ago

 Long ago, long ago

Well it must have been a life

When I had my girl at home

And long ago  

Well it must have been a lifetime ago that

I took to the road to roam


Well I'm still that man walking down the highway

Yes from my path I have not strayed

Oh long ago, well now

It must have been a life time

That I left when I should have stayed


Long ago, well it must have been a life time

Well I just couldn't follow the plan

Well it was long ago

Oh it could have been a life time

When I was your only man


Tell me how long

Can a man wait to be forgiven

For the words he says

And tell me how many days

Must I be a-counting

Til I can return to what livin

was


Long ago, yes it must have been a life

When the world was filled with diamonds and dust

And now it's a grizzled world with dark sun rising

Over the lands we love and trust


So tell me how long til I will see my horizon

Broaden to the red rose of dawn's rust

And tell me how long til I will see you rising

In your bed clothes at the dawn's early musk?


How long? Well maybe it'll be a life time

Yes how long must our love rust

Nothings broken

When I have spoken

Like the birds at the sun's rising

To a new world of love and trust

No comments:

Post a Comment