Poetry

Monday 30 October 2023

Mid stream

 If you need anything

Let me know

I need a fish head

I need the legs

To walk on water

Like an Ariel

I need a chance

Heads or tails

Open mouth of whale

Swallowing up a Jonah


I need a fishmonger

Market stall

For sale or rent

My suit of scales

Cheques and balances

I need a spout

I need a fluke

Over the moon

I had a whale of a time

Turning on a dime


I went down to the river bank

And cast my line

I asked the water for some message

I hadn't heard of mine

A fish it jumped

Its tail thumped

Upon the bank it pined

I threw it back

Into the sump

Of blackness and of slime

But far below

The river did flow

Like a life in its prime


What waste to catch a rotten fish

When other fresh waters wind

And I may walk to other rivers

That will give me back my time

No comments:

Post a Comment