Poetry

Thursday 25 June 2020

Deer leap

Deer in the bottom field
Like a room with a view
When Helena Bonham Carta
Is kissed by Hugh
And she is ravished
In the poppy sea
One step in the centre
Another out to sea
And she darts to the farside
Her fauns in tow
Bounding and a leaping
Through the tall grass they go
Well its one foot in the past
And another letting go
Tearing up the photograph
The one that you stole

I kept it in my wallet
I kept it whole
For all these years
I could have laughed
You oughta know
I had one foot in the past
The other letting go

The deer kept leaping
And then she froze
She looked my way a minute
While she paused I chose
I kept my distance
And she then rose
Like a snake in the grass
Kept biting at her toes

I started to advance
Down the hill
She turned on her heels
Then became so still
Like a glass of water
On a morning sill
That you lift and tip
To your lips
To swallow a pill
Suddenly like a reflection
In a troubled pool
She shatters in to nerves
Loses her cool
But not her chill
She darts back across the grass
Like a trickster
And her babies they are following her
A real fixture
Disappearing finally
Through a thicket of bramble
No idea
Where they went
I continued my amble

No comments:

Post a Comment