Poetry

Thursday 18 July 2019

cemetery nights

Cemetery nights
And the wild wind
The holes in the heart
Where the rain gets in
The dogs that lose their barks
Each time the song begins
On those Cemetery nights
When you're under my skin

The frozen love triangle
That they fit over the balls
Then the reds and yellows
Like ghostly eyes that roll
And you hit them with your
Bone white cue
And they knock around the table
Going this way and that
Looking for escape where they are able

And all the sockets full of lockets
With photographs for my heart
Of lovers stuffed in pockets
As deep as I can laugh
But the joke was on me of course
Because I could not draw the graph
Of each pulse beat I made in retreat
From the position at the start

These Cemetery nights
Keep rolling off my shoulder
Billiards in graveyards
Tomb stones getting older
And we're a long time dead you know
We must live for the ones we love
And never give way to
The Grim reaper's sway
When he gives us the cold shove

There are Eleven bone rattlers
And twelve gravediggers working
In shifts
And they're burying more than
For what they get paid to lift
And they're using all their cunning,
looking at you kid
But you can't give them their way
Don't ever accept their gift

When the Cemetery nights are over
And the Sun begins to jowl
Then you'll see me from over your shoulder
And the dogs they'll begin to howl
For the crows have flown in the morning
The dust is blown from the flowers somehow
And I know I'll see you tomorrow
Each day is a tomorrow until now

No comments:

Post a Comment