Poetry

Thursday 13 June 2019

Priceless

The fact of this living is
Little and often
The green wash comes in across the hills

There used to be a picture
Of someone on the wall
A picture of us together
The time before the fall
But it never lasted the sun dried its paint
The rain came in left it
Stained and taint
A man came by one day and wanted to buy
It
I said how much are you willing to pay
To me it is priceless

He said name your price
I said how do you put a price tag
On paradise

So he gave me a gold bar
And I weighed it in my arms
I said this ain't worth enough
For the memory is like a balm

How do you weigh a memory he asks
I say try a feather from a golden goose
He says don't get cute
So I said
Try cutting the air with a razor blade and give me a slice
Give me a peel of a sunny day in June
Or the grey sky when I feel
It'll rain pretty soon
Give me that put it in a jar
And I'll take it

Now he went to fetch a dog
And said inside it is dark
And the dog opened his mouth
And out flew a crow
And he said how about that
For a neat trick?
I said I know

So I held the crow and considered it
Was it worth my picture of the dream
Then the crow did spit
And out came another dog
Smaller this time and all wet
Like it had just been born
A tiny dog the size of a toy

But it will grow
Said the crow
And I was surprised he could talk
So I picked up the dog
And went for a walk

The man came running after me
And said what about the picture
Oh I said, you can take it
And the whole house too if you like
I have something far more valuable here
With my little toy dog that barks

No comments:

Post a Comment