Poetry

Tuesday 20 February 2024

Dream aged seventeen

 Last  night I dreamt of antlers

They were balancing in the air hovering

Like a plane the positive and negative effects of time

I searched a house in my dream

Looking for something from my childhood

And I couldn't find it

Then in a hole in the wall plaster

I saw a legoman

I picked it up and examined it

The more I looked at the face the more I saw my own

I was holding myself as a boy

Or as a plastic man perhaps

A toy man

I put the legoman back in the hole in the wall

Then at the bottom of the stairs I saw the stag

It turned away quickly and I rushed downstairs to follow it

It had disappeared

But there appeared another door I had not seen before

One down below into a basement, like a coal cellar perhaps

I opened it and walked down the stairs


The light was dim,

Some torches on the wall

Were flickering casting long shadows

The stairs seemed to be sandy and made of stone

And gradually I realized I was walking beneath 

What must have been a pyramid


On the cellar floor was a table with a desk lamp on it

I recognized it from my study in my old home

Then in the shadow of the corner beside the stone staircase

Came a groan and a chinking of chains

A dark figure was rising from a crouching position

"Who are you?!", I screamed!

But the figure did not answer

Then suddenly he lurched forward 

in an attempt to capture me with his arms outstretched

I leaped back in the nick of time and he missed me, but could

go no further forward on account of being chained to the ground

To all intents and purposes

The creature seemed a spitting image of Frankenstein's monster

Complete with bolts in his neck

Different pieces of men sewn together to make a whole

He was wailing and moaning

And I felt sure he would break free any moment

And tear me to shreds

I looked around at what was in the vicinity for a weapon

There were archaelogists tools for digging, trowels mostly 

and a spade

I picked a trowel and waiting my moment

I threw it like a dagger and it stuck in his heart


No comments:

Post a Comment