Poetry

Sunday 4 December 2022

Love in the hills

 Out on the marshes

The endless parade

Of reeds like soldiers

Armies marching in charades

And high above them harriers harangue the pale 

Sky


Where do you expect

The division of labour to fall?


The hawks ask the buzzard

The buzzard ask the train

That rattles on beneath it

Like a bullet through the brain

What can you expect to do, or cut from the bone

When it has been gnawed so much

That the heart is no more a home


And I held you tight but

You fell through my hands like rain

When cupped I supped your water

But couldn't swallow your refrain


If I had my time again I would appreciate

What I had

You offered me life

And I threw it way

Like an apple that went bad

I think my whole existence

could be summed up in just a few words

To live and lose the love we had

passing by like a flock of birds


And yet the whole revelation

comes as some kind of second death

Or a kind of second coming

After a second breath


I tried to breathe easy this time sometimes easier said then done

When I see the gentle countryside

I am in love with

The Bakony hills loom large and black in the distance


Then they disappear but my memories are returning

And stirring in me feelings

of a love that keeps on burning

No comments:

Post a Comment