Poetry

Monday 12 October 2020

Covid carol

 Talking of the sacrifices that we made during the covid serenade

When death danced amongst our ranks

And gulls called about our flanks

The army of the nation marched on

Talking of the penniless arcades, where jingle bells played

And all the Christmas tinsel displayed

But then there was no-one left

To share it with - two into one


Talking of the typos left at the printers that cut out all our vowels

Like a samurai cuts out his own bowels

In the final act of hari-kari

Well I ordered an uber taxi and stayed

Well out the way

Of love or death and taxes

Ever-after

Perhaps

If there were a case of him versus me

The God of Him would win the

War against the 'Me' disease

But we are all so sure that

some cure will be discovered

That we never took precautions

To ensure

Our own egos

Were covered

And the personal personality insurance went broke

After they gambled all their

Winnings on some private joke

That went up in smoke

Or fell flat on its face but it

Was even funnier that way than saving the

Whole human race

And I thought that I owed her a family

At least

I thought I could own her

I'd be her hairy beast

And protect her from the wild woods

But it did not work, it all ceased

Just as the rain is too beautiful

To Cut the shoulders of sheep

Who graze long after we've stopped

Talking of covid

And tunnels that never cease

Where we look for the light


But darkness is a comfort

And too much light is blinding

And I can only tell

What my shades are finding

No comments:

Post a Comment