Poetry

Monday 17 February 2020

Only free in dreams

The bags blow down by the river
And the ducks paddle through the stream
Mud cakes up on trees, and I am only free
Oh we are only free in our dreams

The cheering crowds shout for the footballer
To score his hat trick in the half hour
Oh but if he were true he'd be a golfer
Pushing caddy trollies over flowers
Yes we are, we are, we are only free in our dreams

Everytime I sung to you I knew
The great moose in the sky was looking down
Every beaver in Canada had on his brow
A certain frown
Now they're blocking up the streams
With their logs and trees
And we are only free
In our dreams

I shot a bullet hole through the wall
And the air whistled in cold and clear
I always knew someday I'd fall
But I never knew that day'd be so near
Yes we are, we are, we are only free in our dreams

Come lay beside me honey take your rest
Your feet are so weary and so cold
You've been walking far beyond, beyond your best
And now you need a love that's bold
The animals are howling in the wild
It quiet in the wood, it is so old
And I am going there to follow the stream
Where I am only free in my dream

No comments:

Post a Comment