Poetry

Saturday 26 October 2019

Of Lizards and Lights

I didn't follow you on that parade
The flight of the libertines
I must admit I was too afraid
Too afraid of what might have been

I was gone in all sorts of ways
Before you
Before you or I
Had stepped out the door

I was in light
I was in shade
And I didn't want
Those changes anymore

I'm like a chameleon
Who changes his skin
To fit into the environment
He is in
And the Autumn here is changing its hue
So I can turn too
Out of blue
Into a shade of orange

You in your groves
So Olive
You in the grooves
of your skin
You in the cracks in the pavement
In the paper bark that's wearing thin

Throw your clothes in the fire
Salamander be born again
My twin
We should have been brother and sister
But in the war
We know neither one of us can win

The oak grows bare on the hillside
The Cypress trees blow in the wind
The candles flicker on the window's ledge
As I pledge this poem
a Hymn


No comments:

Post a Comment