Poetry

Saturday 17 March 2018

The city lights

All of these mysteries come circling like vultures
Trying to braid art into our many cultures
Seeing what the vibrato voice can really do
Try looking down the wishing well
You will see myself with you

Even when the weather's holy
As a sacred cow
And the brown paper bag
Is tethered to the crow
Even then my monopoly
On you is far from swift
I can hold you in my hands
But you cannot be my gift

Even when I see you together
With that other man
I fall between the pavement cracks
And my legs won't stand
Even when I hurt so bad
I can barely tell
One side of Trinidad from the other side of hell

This place is making me a little sick in the head
Like a feather from the crow flying from the land of the dead
Even when the weather's bad I remember the words you said
That we would be together through the nights
Through the streets
Through all the nights and streets
And the city lights that sped

No comments:

Post a Comment