Poetry

Thursday 22 March 2018

Desire

If I could say what I really wanted
Oh what a world that would be
One in which nobody wanted to pressurize me
One in which it is clear to see
What is important and what is just
The flotsam floating on the sea

If only such life sucking corals didn't tear
At my knee
When I try the shallow waters and wade into the beach
Into the inner lands of uncertainty

Where it is safer you might have thought
To be on dry land
Crossing my Ts
Dotting my 'i's
And drawing up noughts

Than out, out in the treachery of the wide open ocean
Where freedom hails the sharks from their homes
In caves beneath the surface emotions

Where jellyfish stingers of regret or guilt
Can pull down into the sinkhole
The very galleons they have built

That slow turtles of a mild day's cares
Come drifting by without hurry
Without trouble just the joy of being there
And then you ask me
Is this what you want??

Do I want life on an ocean of calm
Or one of boiling tumult?
I can tell you I want neither
Neither if they either cause you harm
But mostly I see no way out
Of such suffering
We are the pigs or the chickens
on Animal Farm

It is as inevitable as death and taxes
And sometimes it seems such is the weight of this
And yet we both are free are we not?
Both free to choose,
But not to love
Because that is paramount
Of top most concern
That I love you, you and, and you do not scorn
No I believe in the potential of this love
It is just I do not believe in the current flow between us
Sometimes it is DC, Sometimes AC and I must
Confess I turn off the power
When you blow a fuse in the basement
I can't find the fuse box, I'm looking in the medicine cabinet
Search for something to heal the ailment
In my soul or your soul
But sometimes I get confused which fuse is blown
Who I need to fix you or I
When you lose control
And let the house plants fly

I wonder what nether land of unearthly desire
I have stumbled upon
Or cut my hand
I watch it bleed in to your fire
And blood burns bitter not sweet
When it feels the unnatural heat
And sometimes it can no longer flow
Like a candle gone out
After the last blow
After all the screams and shouts
I cannot know
Which side of Eden I am about
Or whether to hold on
Or just let go
But I can't

No comments:

Post a Comment