Poetry

Saturday 20 August 2022

Not yet

The red night setting

The lights are getting dim

I'm like a field mouse 

And the thresher, the thresher is setting in

The storm is blowing wetter

And I'm soaked to the skin

Well I'm getting better, I bet

But I'm not there yet


The fireflies are fighting

With spitfires in the din

The kettle is testing the metal

Of the pressure cooker it is in

The tyres loose their fetters

And the wheels wildly spin

Well I would let her write me a letter of regret

But I'm not there yet


Don't forget me, I keep saying, repeating like a toy, 

like an action man my setter is set only to destroy

Build a thing, make a win

And hold me close don't be coy

But I ducked the daisy cutter

When she picked me out with joy 

Oh when I met her I was a debtor, 

I will forget her, I will forget

But I'm not there yet

No comments:

Post a Comment