Poetry

Wednesday 11 August 2021

War museum

Visiting in the war museum

The black guns in their cases, you had to see them

And no smiles on the faces of the aces

Who shot down all those planes from the sky

 

Mud on my boots from the trenches

Blood stains on the suits and on park benches

What are we fighting for in these marshy stenches?

Where the bodies of our buddies lie

 

War in the eyes of the starving civilians

Is not the same as in the warlord's who counts his millions

In cartridge cases and ammo boxes and gold medallions

As bodies in black bags get flown back home side

 

I have seen the tanks a rolling through the forests

And the soldiers leap out in ambush down upon us

And the leaves fall like rain down on the trail

Where my buddies they will fail to return and walk by my side

 

So, as I walk in this museum of the war time

And I remember all the war masters still in their prime

The shells the burst like fireworks inside my mind

I am reminded of all the fallen I have left behind

 

There was never a more pressing need or rancour

Than in the armistice which came with a clamour

Of clashing steel, Kalashnikovs and falling pellets

Whose tinkle bells could be heard for the miles I ride

 

And my horse she is bold like a stallion

And my badges hang round my neck for my battalion

Who battled on in skirmish and in fire-fight

But when my orders came to leave, I took flight

 

Never happier to see the aircraft

Like an eagle that flew me away she was a freedom raft

And as I flew in the bird, I looked down at state side

And the fog it rolled in on the bay

 

You can call it what you like in the museum

Just pay your money take the tour you can see them

But don't you abjure or fight the season

Oh, you can't tell me war has a reason 

Anymore

 


No comments:

Post a Comment