Poetry

Sunday 6 February 2022

Don't look up

 I'm not saying it was good

I'm not saying it was bad

but it had that tone you know

That authority of dad

Should you beckon for forgiveness

Or crack as a mountain

Peak under the weight of foreknowledge

Like Cassandra who couldn't speak

Should you fall in love with an icicle

Or a bicycle or a polar bear

Should you mean to quench the thirst that comes

When you do not care

Forgone conclusions aside

I decided I was spare

Like a room ready to rent

Like a condom as yet unspent

Or like a tiger in the night

Whose switch had been turned off

I was light as a kite in the air


Should you harm the great rhinocerus 

Who was only trying to warn us 

Or buzz like a lightning rod

Ready to speak to God

Should he say come hither wither 

Will you go Up high or down low

You still feel the vertigo


The meld of cataclysmic events

Broke the mould

Shocking how one event

Can turn a whole life just so

In beads of sweat I write this

The dog is running out

The end of the world is coming

But I cannot scream or shout

Something in me died

The moment

They pulled the plug

Like water down the drain,

I hear the refrain

No don't look up


I stood with racked brain, and threw the torch

Of flame

Shook the tree of good

But could not discover

My name

I pounded on the door of heaven

Or was it a seven eleven

Either way I needed what was within

The party was almost over

The lighter fluid switched

Over to petroleum

By the gas attendant witch

Was she a witch? I ask myself

No of course she was a stylist

Just someone who pretended to be

Someone I'd mindless

But I wound the windy windlass of the lock

And low and behold

A thunderbolt shock

Hit me between the ears

In the air of nebulous tears

That always diminish like a fraction

(of years)

No comments:

Post a Comment