Poetry

Saturday 7 November 2020

4 am bookshelf

 It's 4 am and I am

sleeping on the shelf

My book cover slips, I take a dip

But I can't recover myself


I know I fall, against the wall,

I know I'll hurt myself

But I must read between the lines

On my pine bookshelf


There are few bees who follow me

There are few victory posts

I cannot tell if I know full well

If I have rights to boast

There are but steeds with rights to read

There are but colts and gelds


I know full well my otherselves

Are left on old bookshelves

I seize the day, but suffer not the attacks of fools

Who fool themselves and others into thinking Life is cool


Of course we live in times and places

Of a covid rule

But what I can abide the least

Are references to school


I see the shadows and wait a while

For the sun to go down

And every romantic fact

Speaks out from each new fangled part of town

That England is never dying

But only in an image of ourselves

That what we seek are romantic acts

Reserved for our book shelves

No comments:

Post a Comment