Poetry

Tuesday 31 July 2018

Mobile phones kill quality time

I lost my mobile phone the beginning of this course
And I have never been happier
No body phoned me up in my sleep
No one invited me to things I did not care for
Or if they did I felt ok not to go there

I was not pestered by whats app
Or meeting reminders
Or mobile phone updates for whatever crap

The organizers did not have the ability to contact me
I was free
In a word
If somebody died I would have heard
Somehow
But it did not trouble me
Nor did any desire to phone or speak to someone
Unnecessarily
I did not waste money on texts, endlessly
Inquiring of another's business
Or even organizing skype

However what I had was more cash
To spend on useful pursuits like swimming
That in fact chilled me out

When in the waiting lounge of certain arrivals
I looked up from my lap top
Which replaced my attention's focus
When the world got wired
And I saw a room full of young people bored staring down
Someone commented look at us now
And I thought of what could have happened
In a situation like this twenty years in the past
From now
Some bright spark would have started a game
Some camaraderie would have brought us together

It was there in virtue in vitro
In idea the embryo
Perhaps instead we would have read
A book or done a crossword
It is just that life not is too often wired
To the these black boxes of electricity
That are an anathema to the Human soul
Perhaps it is not all lost
Just the Ghost in the machine
Is beginning to take control


No comments:

Post a Comment