Poetry

Tuesday 12 May 2015

Red riding riddle

I sat in the wood
with my favourite hood
eating my four finger nail
Along came Caesar I said hail
Now there's a bad wolf
doing good
There's a sad ship and no sail

On a penniless farm
where they raised the animal alarm
My old mother she ran
the cooking of food
then said the bear
what's on the menu,
is it hen stew
No said good locksy
who's treasure is under
lock and key
Its paws rich or porridge to you

You must find old Noah
He knows Frank owes him the key
or else he is the key buried in the sea
Now there was bad Jonah
up to no good
Lost a lot of diamonds in the sale
they might be up my sleevies
but I'll borrow an army
Said Noah well I owe you a flood
Then Frank from the ocean cried
What's the commotion
I saw Jonah he says he's
locked in a whale
So Noah said now Frankie
you know you can be coy
Let him know you are the key
Be a good boy
But old bad Frankie he wouldn't
touch the sea
He said I prefer sun sets not set sails

And full of this mirth he remained on the earth
Until Jonah could recover his tail
Noah said somewhere I left my head
It's buried in a book I read
I think they may have called it good
said Locksy with a smile
I'll see you after a while
just in time to collect your flood
It's been brewing inside me
but from it you cannot hide me
I felt nauseus so thought
I'd go downstairs
but without my barometer
it's cold and no thermometer
beside the wood is now covered with bears

Oh Holy medallions said
the Spanish galleon
who'd just finished circumnavigating
the globe
I cannot even count all of them
the treasure we've on board of 'em
Now help me unload Noah
don't be scared
So the two of them unloaded
both Frankie and him that’s exploded
And shook the star dust
from their hair

Now there's the sea I owed you
I'll thank you to abode me
while I chase Goldie locks from her bear
There's Cantonese surprises
and witches of all disguises
A wizard you may be and I shan't care
Just shave me and delay me
My boat doesn't leave till Tuesday
And Mrs Noah's anxious I'll be there
Can I beg you for my disguises
I've loved but without surprises
And now Locksy's just cut off
her golden hair

Now Frankie he is the key
but to be sure of sanctuary
You got lose the honest
crop to share
there may be no surprises
and the nose and thick rimmed surmises
will point to the tower with
the spiral stair
and up in its very topmost quarter
is a king's long haired daughter
and she may throw down her curls
to a worthy dare
So pluck up your courage
Frankie boy
be honest its not a decoy
the real treasure lies with her
up there
And sure enough they made it
into the sunset now they've faded

Frankie boy and his long-locked lady fair

No comments:

Post a Comment