Poetry

Friday 10 February 2023

Red town

 Oh the skeleton traffic lights

Burn through the night

And I wish I could tell you I'm born

Born in a green town

And Die in a red

But I'm stuck on amber in my head


Oh the Bunsen burners

Light up the lab

Like the rigs in the cold North Sea

And I'm on a ship and I'm waving my flag

It is white for all souls to see


Don't make a mystery out of a fact

Don't turn the red light green

Before your history has been written in an act

Of pure white dishonesty's gleam


Shine out the fortesque, shine round the bend

Shine on your street lamp parade

For the bones of the dead street

Still hold sway on the ghost ship

As the Ocean cries hush to the waves


And the bin men come out

And they rattle about 

bottles go clinkety clink 

The indicators flash, in a cold hard dash

Like shire horses blinking at graves


I was born in a green town

Where the monkeys play

And the tin men follow their dreams

And the red light of day

Falls a lonely gloom on the streams

And I'm in a red dawn down at the bay




No comments:

Post a Comment