Poetry

Friday 17 July 2020

Western Eyes/Madam Butterfly in London

She had eastern lips, and an eastern smile
But she spoke like Maralyn Monroe
From the Sunset mile
And I couldn't resist
As the sun was going down over the hill

She was a temptress dragon
Of a strange affair
She had diamond teeth
And long brown hair
And as I tried to catch her
She vanished into thin air

Was she Madam Butterfly
In the London square,
Playing all the theatres to
The crowds who stare
She had love like lockets that she dropped on the ground

And I picked her up in a bar one night
It was pouring outside, but the bar was bright
She was singing in her Eastern tones

And it ran right through me like the rain
I could feel my heart strings begin to strain
As she played me like she played everyone else
She was a master magician, a Madam of disguise
And I knew right then that I loved her sunrise
Like a star that has fallen down from the skies
I looked and saw, she had Western Eyes

Western eyes and an Eastend voice
She sounded like James Dean
She didn't have a choice
And If I wasn't mean then neither did I
For I loved her Western eyes

She had a China heart that could easily break
And porcelain bones that I could not forsake
And as I held her in my arms, I knew I could never
Ever drop the vase
She was never real, she was a plastic girl
And she could never feel, the fantastic world
Though all was a fantasy to her

She fell from the stars like an angel of grace
She left behind everything she knew
And her Eastern race
Just so she could walk through the london streets
She saw her face on the cover of every magazine
And in every cinema she played the heroine on screen
Her star was rising and crossing the Eastern sky

Well I met her later in a restaurant
But I had no idea what from her I did want
It was like seeing a person aknew
Like an avenging Angel she threw
Back in my face all the scorn
She felt from being born in the wrong place
When I said I didn't like what she'd become

She was married the next year to some
Travelling man, setting up business
Over in Japan
She had the face to fit the bill
She sold geisha smiles
And Chinese dolls
To businessmen with air-miles
Instead of their souls
And I knew my butterfly
Flew further away

I tried to catch her then
At the wedding of a friend
And we held hands
At the maze's end
But when I kissed her her lips were as cold as ice
The cold in her soul, had grown into her bones
And her Eastern body wracked with westend tones
She was dying and her wings they began to fade

But when she tried to take off
I promised her not
To forget about me
And all that we got
But she gave me her smile
And she winked her Western Eyes

Will I ever see her again?
Probably not
It was a love over the season
Of an East to West plot
Sometimes there's no going back
To things that are lost

I saw her the other day
Just through the glass
I was inside , and she was walking passed
And thought, this was how it always did go
That love is like a butterfly you
Can't easily catch,
And when you do
It's too delicate, and its not going to last
So you must set it free and watch
It fly or else it dies

And you can love it
On the wing
You can love it in your hand
But try to catch the thing
And you can never understand
Only let it sing and see the sparkle
In her Western Eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment