Poetry

Monday 26 August 2019

In flashes

I see you in flashes like in the storm
Like blood surges that keep me warm
I see you in flashes through the rain
Lightening crashes through my brain

I see you in flashes through the years
Some days like nights, some nights are clear
Some final thunder crashing fears
But I see you in flashes through my tears

There is no name for this flame
Anonymous giver of great fame
The love that lasts a thousand years
The love that laughs all through the tears

The love that jokes, but jokes in vain
When the last laugh leaves you out in the rain
The love that rules from some high up throne
The pearls of wisdom turned tears of stone

Come step down to the mortal plain
Where Angels tread, you're not alone
I see them clear through my window pane
Just like the flashes through the rain

The well of life, the Liverpool
Where the liver birds sit on a ducking stool
The sounds escape, the fury fuels
Another tape around another fool

And deep down mercy draws its fill
From the lake of glory
And destiny's hill
We tell its story
We tell it still
Til morning is hoary
Til the frost it chills

I put my life in your hands
We walk along the wet sands
Our foot prints leave their soul mark
Like signs of life, flashes in the dark

The speed of love, the speed of light
The root of God over men who fight
Angels gather on yonder hill
Can we count how many
The lightening strikes will kill
How many shall live
How many shall die
The power to give
Falls from heaven's sky
It falls not heavy on hoary heads
It falls equal on cowards, clowns and crowns
Its quality like an elixir
Gives a second chance
To the man in the mirror

Seen in flashes of a hope unknown
The rain spoken in splashes on a telephone
The line goes dead
But I hang on
Even in my head
I know my heart lives on

We reconnect when she picks up
After the storm inside the coffee cup
After the night has cooled the drinks
The moon does rise as the sun it sinks

Way across the ocean her image I glean
In flashes the moon like a ship I've seen
Rising up into a foreign sky
But so familiar like a kind of spy

The thunder bolt is in my hand
The power I hold I can't understand
I am no God I'm just a man
No golden calf, lion nor a lamb
Do I throw the dice, leave it up to fate
Am I too early give or to late to try?
Do I let her live or do I let her die?

No comments:

Post a Comment