Poetry

Tuesday 6 August 2024

Stairlift to heaven

 There's a Lady I know and she's very old

And she's buying a stairlift to heaven


When she gets to the store, she promised to call

So I can pick it up for her and it can get where it's going


Ooh and she's buying a stairlift to heaven


There's a sign on the wall, saying mind you don't fall

Because the footrest sometimes can be misleading


Oh, and it makes me wonder

Ooh and it makes me wonder


There's a feeling I get when I put on my vest

and my whisky bottle is still near the bottom


In my thoughts I have seen the wood for the trees

And I clearly know which stairlift I would choose 


Ooh and it makes me wonder

Ooh and it really makes me wonder


And it's whispered in the mobility store

That the stannah is the best one


And the others are shit, and break when you sit

And your family will laugh when you ride it


Oh-oh-oh-oh-whoa


If there's a hustle and your budgie, don't sing out

Well then there's probably a gas leak

And if two mobility scooters crash on the street

Then they should've been looking where they were going


And it makes me wonder

ohh, whoa


If your head is humming, there's probably a bee in your bonnet

And you need to call a beekeeper


Dear landlady I can hear the wind blow through my window

And it's giving me a stiff neck on my stairlift


And as we wind up the spiral staircase

I'm impressed how they got the geometry right

For there's a lady that I know well, she's my landlady

And she thinks that she is snow white

Still she's looking in the store at the stairlifts

And she can't quite decide which to go for

And at last I say it doesn't matter anymore 

Because we can live in a bungalow or on the ground floor

But she's still buying a stairlift to heaven


No comments:

Post a Comment