Poetry

Tuesday 25 June 2024

Statues of you

 If I were a man of stone

My sin would go, I would atone

You could stand me up upon a plinth

In praise of my mighty, heroic stints

But I never meant to be just so

In life I was of flesh and bone

And weak moments had I many

I'd be a millionaire by now if I had a penny


If I were a man of glass

You could throw a stone

And I would pass

All shattered into pieces

Lying on the grass

If I were a man of glass


If I were a man of grass

You'd grow me up

In your fields vast

And crop me down

In swathes of your sythe

And lie me flat in waves of lives

And each life you'd gather up

thrash my corn and fill your cup


If I were a man of wood

Well no that would do no good

You'd chop me down

With a swing of your ax

Lay me on the river of your tax

Float me down to build ships and dams

Then I'd be shipwreck or a log jam


So I am a man of metal

You've turned into a robot kettle

I boil up I boil down

You switch me on and off and frown

This metal man talks so funny

Let's buy another with our money

Throw him on the scrap heap of dreams

Discarded, washed up in life's streams


Come and show me an element of what you are

Be it a cow or elephant be it lion or jaguar

We all are made up of parts,

All are pieces of another

So when you think that you won't fit

Just remember your mother

She had you for some reason

Though I can't think what it is

It surely wasn't to make money

As that seems but a swizz

Perhaps it was to be funny

Perhaps to drink some fizz

It seems that some only wish that honey

Were made of swiss cheese and is


So don't stand me up and make me last

I am not a hero who lived in the past

Were they ever as big as their myths?

It seems to me something's amiss


No comments:

Post a Comment