Poetry

Sunday 11 June 2023

My Directory of Bleeding Hearts

This is my directory of bleeding hearts
She sits in her bed waiting for the cold
To touch her leg
The cold is her Mr Man
The only one she invites to warm her egg
And he comes also
When the dawn is breaking
And half herself is in the other world
And the other is still clawing
To make it up with you

And on the shore
The waves are crashing onto the land
The flooding waves
Are stretching their ringed fingers
Deep into the sand
Losing their precious jewels and
Moonstones Somewhere only
Time and God understand
As we walk our feet
Along the shore
leaving footprints
In the sand

The cymbals clash
The drums beat
The thunderstorm
echoes down the street
People hide indoors
But one goes out to meet
The rain
Tap dancing soles
Diamond feet

She splashes up the puddles vein
Like arteries of falling rain
She follows up the steep hillside
And as she goes she slip slides

Oh always pain, this pain inside
This mortal frame where we reside
Can we cut out a hole for our soul
Can we let it bleed without control?

Can she escape? Can truly I
Rise above mistakes
Like a cloud in the sky
But I am a fake, just a model guy
I stand by the lake watch my hopes fly

Like geese, like bleeding hearts
Forever sewn-flown into the sky
I remember the pattern
How I was sewn into you
My patchwork heart
Your needle and thread
Pulling the pieces together
I thought were dead
Making the quilt
We will lie under in bed
Free from faking guilt
Just the roll of thunder instead

My cotton wool eyes
In the blue, blue skies
Sometimes the verdant green
Of all the islands we have seen
Sometimes vermilion of the dark valley
The villainy of passion
The 3 am street or alley

The yellow of a tram
That we speak on
Conversations of nonsense
Let you know who I am

The silver grey of rails
That run across this land
That neither of us can escape from
The train wreck, rubber neck
Tin pan alley man

No comments:

Post a Comment