Poetry

Friday 25 May 2018

Pearls

Take me too the mountain top
Make it stop, make it stop
Make all this hurt and pain just stop

What is loving
What is it?
Is it salt is it grit
Is it that grain in the oysters shell
That's rolled around
Through years of hell
Discomfort and pain
To make what
Something vain?

To make what? A pearl
The most valuable gem in all the world
Just look at it possess it
Put it on a string and make a necklace
Hang it there with pride
Because you know love's many sides
Have made it smooth
Not golden but mysterious like the moon
Too delicate to touch
I want to hold you so much
But I can't let it go
I can't sell my soul
Or perhaps I can,
I already have
Now I live in a clam
Buffeted by the wave
I just have no sign of a grain of sand
To rub in my own wound
To coat in my own silver fish flesh
My own fish scale clothes
That I wear underwater
Where all the fish breath

All the world's your oyster
That's what they say
Only all I want to know is:
Where's my pearl today?

No comments:

Post a Comment