Poetry

Sunday 20 December 2020

The travelling soul

In the hotel lobby, down the old country road

They say how are you Bobby? Be gone by the time the cock crows

 Well travelling is my hobby, by them it's well knowed

For it's alright by me, I have no fixed abode


No fixed, no fixed, no fixed abode

Through this old lobby, where the cold wind blows

I'm not searchin' for diamonds, not searchin' for gold

I have no place to hide them, I have no fixed abode


There's a sign in the night stars, my true path I am showed

To listen to night jars that sing in hedgerows

And if what they sing of is iron bars which the caged bird knows

Well I'd rather breathe the free air and have no fixed abode


I hear them calling softly, down the old country road

They call to me often, where the sweet waters flowed

Where the lakes are like mirrors, and the sky is rain-bowed

And the shadows of my mistakes, they weigh a lighter load

For in the give and the take, they leave me no fixed abode

No fixed, no fixed, no fixed abode


I walk past my old college, where my friends and I strode

It's a path I walked often down a long memory road

And I look to them for answers, but now they speak a foreign code

They say the past's walls are like a prison, instead try livin' 

at no fixed abode

no fixed, no fixed, no fixed abode


It's a house on the hill, It's an mirage I am told 

But in its pursuit I am willing to give up pieces of gold

For all things time touches, it will bring into its fold

Like the beggar on wooden crutches who has no fixed abode


But the beggar is still a king, so long as promises aren't sold

And the king is but beggar if his dreams are only of gold


It's the place that time kills, but its road will lead to hell

I don't know if it be God's will to keep me sheltered well

But in my heart I am still, though its beating does tell

That I am afraid still to have no fixed abode

no fixed, no fixed, no fixed abode


It's a face in the crowd, and a case in a court

Yes it's a man who once was proud, but now amounts to nought

It's a bitter taste in the mouth, after drinking sea salt

Its a soul in a river, washed out to sea

So he must be a sailor or King fisher, or else all a quiver he will be

He'll get the sea sickness, and he'll long for his home

But that would be a wickedness, for there is none, he's all alone

He has no fixed, no fixed, no fixed abode


They say yes he was one I once knew well, now time's have past

And it's like looking down a well

And I look for my future but only hear my own echo

Calling don't put away your suitcase for you'll have no fixed abode

no fixed, no fixed,

No fixed abode


The address where I leave my hat

Is at no fixed abode

No light to guide me, but the light of the road

The address that I live at, is no fixed abode


No fixed, no fixed, no fixed abode

The home where I'm living

Is named No fixed abode

I go where I'm getting,

And I get there alone

No two cents to rub together

There's no blood from the stone

If you take what I'm giving

Then you'll get what you're owed

Just come and find me

I'll be at no fixed abode


No fixed, no fixed, no fixed abode

I'll meet you at the sign posts upon the crossroads

You go your way as I heard the cock thrice crowed

I'm going my way in the direction of no fixed abode


Now Jesus was a traveller, at least that's what I'm told

He walked many miles down the line which he toed

And there were few that followed him, but some who he rowed

Then he walked upon the water but had no fixed abode


Is it better to be travelling, than that you should arrive?

Well the way is unravelling, but I'm still alive

And I'll get where I'm going, in the end I'll get what I'm owed

When you see the rainbow glowing,  at no fixed abode


No fixed, no fixed, no fixed abode

Will you buy what I'm selling?, well they call it paradise

And there is no there telling you, open your eyes

For the train is at the station, and so you better climb aboard

But you'll never reach your destination, at no fixed abode

At no fixed, no fixed, no fixed abode


The mountains are rising, like suns in your eyes

And I see by your story, that hard travelling has its price

But we'll know in the glory that the road will entice

So be where you are going at no fixed abode


no fixed, no fixed, no fixed abode

No comments:

Post a Comment