Poetry

Sunday 20 December 2020

Octopus complex

 I've got an octopus complex

I want to have 8 arms

And be able to feel

The things that I feel

I'm sure I can come to no harm


I've got the octopus complex, doctor

It came from my mother who was an actor

She over dramatized events

Like when we went camping it got too intense

I spent the next 8 days in bed

That's how I ended up with an octopus in my head


I've got the octopus complex something bad

In fact I think you can blame it on my dad

He spent every penny he ever had

On making me as many enemies, so sad

And now I can only keep 8 friends in the world

Well I should have had the oyster complex

And fallen in love with a pearl


I've got the octopus complex, and I wish I didn't bother

But it all started out with the birth of my brother

Ever since then, I've wanted to control other men

And it's left me with this feeling I must control them

So I became an octopus teacher, but it turned out I was more of a preacher

And told them God was an Octopus, and man was only a creature


I've got an octopus complex and I blame it on my sister

She was born 8 years before me, and each year is like step on ladder that leaves

Poor me

On the bottom rung, always trying to climb up

So I become an octopus and then I can drink tea from a cup

And sip soup from a spoon and eventually I'll run for president

But probably not until next June


I've got an octopus complex, where I think I am a man

When actually I'm an octopus just tryin' to do what I can

And it's hard tryn'to juggle life work and money

Mix in with that bills and loans then things ain't so funny

Well it's lucky I've got 8 hands to handle all the telephones

But only one mouth to speak from when I'm on my own


Yes I'm an octopus I must confess, that's why you've found

Lobster claws in my draws and shell fish in my stationary

They are only snacks, that they don't serve at Greggs

And it's been hard tryin' not to over satisfy my woman in bed

There are many things an octopus can do better than a man

But thinking himself something better than the rest of us

Takes an octopus man


I've got an octopus complex, I want to shake every hand

And greet every low down as if he's a great man

But when it comes to the over compensating attention

When I leave a group of people I squirt ink in their direction

How to make friends and influence people

Just come to my church hear me preach

Under the Octopus steeple

No comments:

Post a Comment